Friday, February 21, 2020

People That Are Different Are Special


I recently posted a video on Facebook of an Australian boy who was bullied and made fun of because of his dwarfism. His mother, Yarraka Bayles made a video of her son, Quaden Bayles anguish of being mistreated just because he is different. Quaden is an aboriginal boy in Australia. I posted it in defense of special people everywhere and to shame those who bullied this little person.




This video and Quaden's story sparked a memory of my childhood that I would like to relay here in defense of people who are born “different” and the wisdom and love of my mother.
When I was seven or eight years old, my mother would spell words to my father when they didn't want my sister and I to know what they were talking about. But being a “Spelling Bee” champion from 3rd to 5th grade they realized that would not work. Around that time a “deaf and dumb” lady was selling door-to-door hand signing cards to raise money for the local school for “deaf and dumb” children. In those days that is what was referred to people who could not speak because they could not hear. Those schools finally changed their name to School for Deaf because people who could not speak because they cannot hear are not “dumb”.
My mother provided the lady with a donation and soon my mother and father were learning sign language. I learned some of it, but not enough to keep up with their signing conversations.
I was about eight years old when we had a new neighbor on third floor of our apartment. A single mother whose son was deaf and going to a special school for the deaf. It was then that my mother taught me that some people were born different and should never be treated badly, but instead look upon them as special people. Indeed, such a philosophy was the attitude of Native American tribes and ancient Celts. They were viewed as people who were blessed by god(s) and thus should not be hurt. The ancient Celts believed, for example, those born with red hair were touched by the goddess.
The deaf boy, whom I ashamedly cannot recall his name, became one of my best friends until he and his mother moved away a couple of years later.
Since that time I always championed anyone who was mistreated for being different – on into high school. I started early between six and eight, when a bully who lived two doors down picked on my sister. My mother had to rush downstairs to pull me off him. This was a time when people were allowed to defend themselves and others. 
My sister and I
Since my posting of Quaden's mother's video that went viral, funds were collected and he is going on a trip to Disneyland, courtesy of people who believe that it is okay for some like Quaden to be different, indeed, they are special and precious. 
American comedian Brad Williams, who also has Achondroplasia, saw the video and set up a GoFundMe
I find it strange that people would be cruel to those like Quaden when a famous dwarf actor became a world celebrity in the "Game of Thrones" series. See Peter Dinklage.
Quaden Bayles [CNN photo]
Hugh Jackman, famous actor, has picked up the cause for Quaden.


In memory of my Mother, Inez Joy Peek-Lehman who taught me that some people are special ....



No comments:

Post a Comment